After Sky withdrawal: TV off for Jörg Wontorra?

obs / Sky Germany / Sky / Jörg Koch

Long-time soccer presenter Jörg Wontorra takes a break from TV. The 71-year-old left open in the “Sport Bild” (Wednesday) whether this was temporary or permanent.


“After intensive discussions with my family, we came to the decision that I would take a little break again,” he told the magazine. “I will stop and will calmly see whether I would like to do anything again at all or let my TV career run out.”

Perhaps he has “a great idea in six months. There was a case after I stopped having the double pass in 2015 that I got the urge again, ”said Wontorra and did not rule out a comeback. “I am open for everything.”

Wontorra most recently worked for Sky and has been hosting talk shows on the free-to-air channel “Sky Sport News HD” of the pay TV channel since 2017. His contract expired at the end of June. “It’s for purely private reasons,” he said of his retreat. “I would like to spend more weekends a year with my partner Susanne. She had to do without me long enough. “

Wontorra started his career at NDR. He was Head of Sports at Radio Bremen from 1982 before switching to the private broadcaster Sat.1 in 1992, where he became the moderator of the Bundesliga program “ran”. He then hosted the talk show “Doppelpass” on Sport1 for eleven years. In 2015, he took a break from watching TV.

He returned to Sky on the screen two years later. He had already worked for the Sky predecessor Premiere World in parallel to his Sport1 activity from 2000 onwards. His daughter Laura Wontorra (31) is a well-known television presenter herself.

Image source:

  • df-wontorra: obs / Sky Germany / Sky / Jörg Koch


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *