I think you will agree with me when I say:
Creating game videos is so much fun! Streaming on Twitch can also be a blast!
But there is a little problem. Without a great capture card, streaming is difficult.
There are so many capture cards. Everyone gives you different recommendations based on their experience.
If you are confused about the selection of the ideal capture card, we can help you.
We have compiled a list of the best capture cards of 2018. After extensive research, we shortlisted the 10 best capture cards for computers, PlayStation, Xbox, Wii and other platforms.
Here is our list of the ten best capture cards available on Amazon.
Top 10 best best capture cards on the market 2019 reviews
1 Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro – Best capture card for games
Elgato is one of the best known names in the capture card industry. It is known for its efficient, reliable and user-friendly products. The Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro is no different. With the HD60 Pro you can record and stream gameplay videos. The capture card works with the platforms PC, Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.
The HD60 Pro offers built-in functions for easy streaming on Twitch, YouTube and other platforms. Thanks to the “Instant Gameview” mode, streaming with low latency is effortless for gamers. Users have the option to record a 1080p60 gameplay file simultaneously with content streaming.
The Elgato HD60 Pro requires a PCIe connection to a computer to function. It is not compatible with most laptops. A desktop is required to run the HD60 Pro, even if footage is taken from consoles. Visit the Elgato website for more information on the minimum and recommended specifications for running the software on a computer.
Users get 1080p60 quality when they stream or record through the capture card. It is possible to reduce the video quality and / or frames per second as needed. The maximum bit rate that the capture card supports is 60 Mbit / s. It has an H.265 hardware encoder for seamless creation of compressed video files.
- 1080p60 quality on a budget.
- Elgato software is known for its ease of use.
- The integrated H.264 encoder ensures unlimited film material with bit rates of up to 60 Mbit / s.
- The encoder keeps the file size small and maximizes storage space.
- Instant Gameview provides practically no delay when streaming on Twitch.tv, YouTube or other popular platforms.
- Master copy mode allows users to stream and record footage at the same time without sacrificing quality.
- Stream Command allows users to customize a stream or video layout. It’s easy to add webcam, overlays and warnings to the screen.
- Live commenting allows users to add their voice to the footage.
- Uses a PCIe connection, which means that a desktop is required for it to function properly.
- Doesn’t work with some older consoles like PlayStation 3.
- No 4k support.
2 Elgato Game Capture HD – Best capture card for PS4
The Elgato Game Capture HD offers all the functions necessary to stream or record the gameplay on different platforms. Game Capture HD works with PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U and computers. With H.264 encoding, flash recording, YouTube sharing and other features, it is one of the most intuitive capture cards for content creators.
Game Capture HD supports 1080p30, 720p60 and lower resolutions and enables impressive video quality and frames per second to stream and capture content. Users who prefer video quality choose 1080p30. Those who are more interested in high frames per second will be pleased with the look of the 720p60 output.
Some capture cards only work over PCI or PCIe connections. The Elgato Game Capture HD takes the convenience of a content creator into account. The capture card is connected to computers via a USB 3.0 connection. That means the card is compatible with high-end laptops.
Game Capture HD will delight gamers or content creators looking for an intuitive experience with multiple features. It comes with Elgato’s standard streaming software, connects to consoles via HDMI, and offers a maximum bit rate of 30Mbps.
- High quality streaming and recording on a budget.
- With advanced H.264 encoding, file sizes are automatically reduced from their uncompressed versions, saving storage space.
- No power supply is required for the function. Game Capture HD is ideal for streaming or recording gameplay on the go.
- USB 3.0 connection means that Game Capture HD works with laptops.
- With flashback recording that allows users to postpone the gameplay if necessary.
- Connect a microphone to your laptop or desktop for additional audio. Game Capture HD allows you to easily and separately adjust the microphone and game volume.
- The 1080p30 limit can be a problem for some users.
- No way to record and stream content at the same time. Users have to do one or the other.
- The maximum bit rate of 30 Mbit / s is somewhat low.
- Does not work with the Nintendo Switch.
3 AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 – Best capture card for PC
The AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 offers PC users incredible video recording and streaming functions. If you want to record PC games, this capture card is very easy to use. The quality of the recordings is up to 1080p60. The capture card supports uncompressed
video output. Those interested in file sizes can choose the compressed option.
Works as a plug-and-play device on the latest versions of Windows. Connection to computers via PCIe. Connect to consoles with HDMI pass-through. Support for Xbox, PlayStation, Wii U and Nintendo Switch consoles. The AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 works with up to eight graphics cards on computers.
The RECentral 3 software offers live editing, various quality settings, content overlay and other functions. This capture card works with third-party capture software. Programs like XSplit and OBS can be used with the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2. The manufacturer grants a two year warranty on the product.
Full customer support for customers in the United States. Users who may have difficulty setting up capture cards can use telephone support. This capture card requires an Nvidia GTX 650 or better. The Radeon equivalent is the R7 250X or better.
- The PCI Express connection leads to latency-free recordings.
- Record uncompressed videos. Ideal for those who want maximum quality in their files.
- The 1080p60 quality is ideal for video recording and live streaming.
- Supports up to eight graphics cards for superior performance.
- RECentral enables simple live streaming. Includes options for live editing, content overlay, and adding audio.
- Several audio connection options.
- A dedicated support team from the United States. Customers who need assistance can call support between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST.
- Allows users to simultaneously capture multiple channels.
- No built-in H.264 encoder.
- Works only with Windows computers. No Mac or Linux support.
- Uses an older version of the RECentral software.
- No 4K support.
4 AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme – Best capture card for streaming
Live streaming on Twitch has never been easier. Would you like a product that allows you to stream live in minutes? Read on to find out more! The AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme is the ideal capture card for potential streamers and content creators. It supports full 1080p60 video recording.
The capture card creates connections with extremely low latency. It is compatible with all consoles like Xbox, Playstation, Wii U, Nintendo Switch or NES Classic. The streaming takes place via USB 3.0 for acquisition with extremely low latency. Users can edit live while they are streaming. With AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme you can easily add a webcam, overlay, picture in picture or other functions to a live stream.
TimeShift technology allows users to record retrospectively. AverMedia offers a two-year guarantee on the Live Gamer Extreme. Multiple audio connections are supported. Users can record uncompressed video in 1080p60 quality. Lower settings are possible if necessary.
A PC connection is required for the Live Gamer Extreme. The connection is via USB 3.0 so that laptops can be used with the capture card. AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme only supports Windows operating systems. Mac and Linux users may want to find a different card.
- The quality of 1080p60fps is ideal for live streaming content on Twitch. Users can capture uncompressed content for live streams of the highest quality.
- The AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme works with DirectShow-compatible streaming applications. Xsplit and OBS can be used.
- Sending to Twitch, YouTube, Ustream and other streaming websites is very easy.
- Uses the latest version of the RECentral software.
- Supports aux and microphone audio sources.
- Live editing, cropping, merging and TimeShift are all possible with AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme.
- Includes webcam, picture in picture, multiple scenes and other unique live streaming features.
- First-class support from the USA through AverMedia. The AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme has a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Requires a PC to use.
- Does not contain a built-in H.264 encoder.
- Works only with Windows. No Mac or Linux support.
- Does not work with Windows versions on Windows 7.
5 Elgato Game Capture HD60 S – Best capture card for Xbox One
Recording content to Xbox One has never been easier. The Elgato Game Capture HD60 S allows you to effortlessly record content on Xbox consoles. Supports Xbox One, One S and One X consoles. Also works with PlayStation, Wii U and Nintendo Switch consoles. Support for recording PC games is also available.
The Elgato Game Capture HD60 S runs over the latest USB 3.0 connection. With USB and not PCIe connectivity, the Game Capture HD60 S can be used with laptops. Integrated live streaming functions. Instant Gameview ensures streaming with low latency at all times. Users can easily add webcams and overlays to streams.
The HD60 S is so compact that it can be used for streaming and recording on the go. All you need is a laptop, a console and the HD60 S. Users can access Elgato Game Capture HD software to easily record content. Support is available for third party software. Programs like OBS can be used with the HD60 S.
While other recording cards can cause delays in recording and playing, there are no such problems with the H60 S. Users can record 1080p60 video while playing games without delay. The file sizes are reasonable: 30 Mbit / s generate about 200 MB per minute of recording. Users who want to record and save content may want to compress it using an H.264 encoder.
- Full 1080p60 recording enables incredible quality when recording content.
- Content bit rate of up to 40 Mbit / s.
- Instant play view produces near-perfect streaming performance for Xbox One games.
- Unlimited stream customization. Add webcam, overlays, warnings, picture in picture and other functions to the stream.
- Affordable 1080p streaming and recording in a pocket pack.
- Does not include a built-in H.264 hardware encoder.
- A PC is required to run.
- Works only with Windows 10 60-bit versions and MacOS Sierra.
- No support for Linux.
- Capture streaming is not as lag-free as pass-through streaming.
6 AGPtEK HDMI Game Capture Card – Best capture card for Wii
Do you want to stream or record content from your Wii U? The AGPtEK HDMI Game Capture Card makes it possible. This capture card has USB 3.0 technology for easy computer connection. Any console that supports HDMI can be used with the capture card. Users can connect their PlayStation 3 or 4, Xbox One, Wii U and other consoles to the capture card.
The AgPtEK capture card supports video quality up to 1080p60. Hardware accelerated upscaling and downscaling is available to users who need this feature. Recording audio is easy with the AGPtEK HDMI Game Capture Card. It supports automatic conversion of audio formats to 48 kHz PCM stereo.
No software needs to be installed with this capture card. It supports plug and play with all types of computers. It is one of the few capture cards that works on all major operating systems. Users with Mac or Linux computers can also use the AGPtEK HDMI Game Capture Card to record or stream content online.
The form factor of the capture card is very impressive. It is an elegant device that can be easily stowed in a backpack when traveling. Users who want to capture footage on the go can use the AGPtEK HDMI Game Capture Card. USB connectivity ensures compatibility with high-end laptops for recording footage.
- 1080p60 quality at a very reasonable price.
- A slim form factor ensures portability.
- USB connectivity means that both desktops and laptops are supported.
- One of the few capture cards that work on Linux.
- Easily use the capture card with third party software such as OBS for streaming to Twitch.
- No driver installations are required to set up the capture card.
- A PC is required to run.
- Restricted options for recording comments on footage.
- Does not come with dedicated streaming software.
7 Elgato Game Capture HD60 – Best capture card for Twitch
Do you want a high quality graphics card for streaming on Twitch? Are you hoping to buy from a reputable company? The Elgato Game Capture HD60 is an ideal choice for hopeful Twitch streamers. Users can effortlessly record content in 1080p60. The Elgato Game Capture HD60 works with PCs and consoles.
Offers unlimited acquisition via USB connection to a PC. Includes flashback features, one-click sharing for sites like YouTube and Twitter, commenting, and more. The USB connection ensures compatibility with laptops. Comes with a built-in H.264 hardware encoder.
The Elgato Game Capture HD60 supports a bit rate of up to 40 Mbit / s and is ideal for streamers who want to produce high-quality videos. The capture card is compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows 10. It works with macOS Sierra. There is no compatibility with Linux computers.
The Elgato Game Capture HD60 is the easiest to use device if you are a beginner streamer. Even if you are new to recording footage from consoles, you can start using this device in minutes. All you need is a powerful PC, the console of your choice and the Elgato Game Capture HD60. Create a free Twitch account and start streaming right away!
- Full 1080p60 video recording results in an incredible streaming product.
- The built-in encoder ensures that the file size is automatically reduced when saving recordings.
- Unlimited game recording.
- Flashback recording function.
- Stream command for setting up webcam, overlays, graphics and comments.
- USB connectivity offers additional portability. The device works perfectly with high-end laptops.
- Support for all consoles that use HDMI.
- No 4k support.
- Instant gameview mode is missing.
- Lack of Linux support.
- Works only with 64-bit Windows.
8 Magewell USB 3.0 HDMI Video Capture Dongle – Best HDMI Capture Card
A plug and play device that works with all modern operating systems. Supports Windows, Mac and Linux computers. HDMI-based device that can be connected to all modern consoles. Can be used with PS3, PS4, Xbox, Wii U and other consoles. Produces impressive HD material from a very slim and slim form factor.
A tiny dongle that offers a lot of power. Supports upscaled footage up to 1080p. Offers both streaming and recording functions. Connects to camcorders and other devices for easy recording of footage.
Thanks to its compact design, the Magewell USB 3.0 HDMI video recording dongle is perfect for recording film material on the go. Suppose you live in a hotel and want to shoot footage while playing on your laptop. It’s easy with the Maxwell Video Capture Dongle. It is so small that it fits in your pocket!
Streaming with the device is not a problem. It works with all modern streaming platforms. Streaming on Twitch, YouTube, Ustream and other platforms is possible. Depending on the specifications of your computer, there may be delays in gaming and streaming. However, this can be remedied by reducing the resolution or improving the PC setup.
- Converts HDMI signals to USB 3.0 properly.
- Works with various streaming and recording software. Examples are Xsplit and OBS.
- Can record upscaled 1080p footage for upload to YouTube and other social media platforms.
- Easy to use
to stream on Twitch.
- Compatible with all common consoles.
- From a practical point of view, 1080p30 is the limit for this capture card.
- No built-in H.264 encoder.
- No dedicated streaming software is included with the card.
9 Pyle Upgraded VHS Tapes on Digital Recorder – Best Cheap Capture Card
Not everyone can afford to spend $ 200 on a capture card. If you have a limited setup, you will need a cheaper capture card. Affordable capture cards don’t have the features of expensive models, but they do the job. They also work better with older systems. The Pyle Upgraded VHS Tapes to Digital Recorder is one such capture card.
The Pyle works with current versions of Mac and Windows computers. It also works with older versions. The capture card is ideal for users who may have an older laptop or desktop. It is a plug-and-play device that uses a micro SD card for storage purposes. This Pyle recording card can even be used to convert VHS or DVDs to digital video formats.
Don’t expect HD quality recordings with the Pyle Upgraded VHS Tapes to Digital Recorder. It is intended for the conversion and recording of videos in standard resolution. An HDMI-AV adapter is required to connect the device to modern machines.
With the updated VHS tapes on digital recorders, you won’t get great recordings to post on YouTube. It is not intended for this purpose. If you are on a budget and want to shoot footage in the meantime, use it as a temporary device. New content creators could use the pyle for a few months before upgrading to a more feature-rich capture card.
- USB 2.0 connectivity
- Very affordable recording device that delivers decent output.
- Works as a plug-and-play device with computers.
- The video recording works very well.
- Also records live television.
- Can be used to convert VHS and DVD material to digital files.
- Works with TVs, VCRs, DVD players, digital cameras, camcorders, computers, consoles and more.
- The resolution is limited to 640 x 480 pixels.
- Limited bit rate of 1016 Kbps.
- Requires an adapter to connect to consoles.
10 Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro – Best 4K capture card
Would you like a capture card that uses Xbox One X? Are you hoping to play and record PC games at 4K resolutions? The Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro is the ideal capture card for users who want incredible video quality when recording modern games. Since the Xbox One X supports many 4K60 and 4K30 quality games, it is important to get a capture card that can keep up.
The Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro offers 4K60 recording. The extremely low latency technology ensures perfect recording and streaming. Use the Elgato software for recording and editing. Support for third party software is available. The Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro supports resolutions of up to 2160p60 and thus offers a head start of 1080p60 cards.
This is a premium capture card for premium users. Users who are not interested in recording 4k gameplay may find better value elsewhere. Those who demand the ultimate in performance will be very happy with this capture card.
The capture card is suitable for PC games. Also supports consoles like Xbox, PlayStation, Wii U and Nintendo Switch. Console users will be satisfied with the performance and usability of the capture card. It is suitable for PC users who already have high-end setups. When you play games at 2160p60 resolution, the capture card takes your YouTube recordings and Twitch streams to a new level.
- The 2160p60 resolution is perfect for recording Xbox One X and PC games in 4k.
- Future-proof due to its high resolution.
- Offers instant gameview mode for easy streaming and recording.
- Maximum bit rate of 140 Mbit / s.
- Offers ultimate performance in an affordable package.
- Elgato software is very popular with streamers and content creators.
- Support for third party software is available.
- Does not have a built-in H.264 encoder.
- Requires a PCIe x4 connection. Doesn’t work with laptops.
- No support for HDR.
- A very powerful PC is required to run. Minimum requirement is sinclude 6th Generation Intel Core i7 processor, GTX 10xx or better graphics cards and PCIe x4, x8 or x16 slots.
Best Capture Cards buying guide
A capture card can help players capture footage of the games they play. It is possible to record content for streaming or video on the latest Xbox, PlayStation and Wii consoles. You can also record PC game content. Some capture cards work on all devices. Others only work with computers. More on that later!
Capture cards produce raw material from the moment you click Capture. Content creators can edit this raw material into shorter videos or upload the raw file. Players can now stream gameplay content to online audiences in real time. The streaming takes place via certain online platforms such as Twitch.tv and YouTube.
The buying guide shows players what type of capture cards they can use to capture or stream footage in real time. When you buy a capture card, everyone’s needs are different. Your budget is a consideration. You want to buy a capture card that offers the features you need and fits within your price range. The guide will help you find the best capture cards available today.
What are the features of a great capture card?
easy to look at the price tag or ratings for a capture card and make an instant purchase decision. These are so complicated machines. Each capture card has unique features, disadvantages, and limitations. How will you use your capture card? Why do you need it Answer these questions before choosing a capture card. Can you find the ideal capture card for a limited budget? Read More
The image quality of recordings plays an important role when buying a capture card. Some of the cheaper capture cards have a 1080p30 limit for records. This means that the recording quality is at Full HD resolution. The “30” stands for the frames per second of the recording. Players on a budget can effectively use 1080p30 recordings for both streaming and YouTube purposes.
Someone who wants to produce the best quality video can go in a different direction. High-end capture cards offer video quality up to 4k60. A player using such a recording card can record videos with four times the quality of 1080p and receive 60 frames per second throughout the recording. If quality is the most important consideration, a 4k60 capture card is the ideal purchase.
However, not every player needs a 4k60 capture card. Most players do not have the console or computer to play important games at 4k resolutions. If the goal is to strike a balance between quality and affordability, a capture card that can manage 1080p60 footage is the way to go. You still get the 60 frames per second that allows for smooth playback, and it’s in Full HD.
The input options of your capture card determine which devices it is compatible with. Some capture cards only work with computers. Others enable cross-platform compatibility.
The cards that are compatible with most consoles usually have an HDMI input. Game consoles such as Xbox, PlayStation, Wii and computer graphics cards are all compatible with HDMI inputs. Players who only want to record footage on their computer can use PC-specific recording cards. If you play on different consoles, you should buy a capture card with HDMI inputs.
We have treated some kind of connection. The capture card for the device on which the gameplay is taking place. The second connection to understand is how the capture card captures and releases the collected footage. Recording cards can be connected to consoles to record footage for video or streaming. The capture card must be connected to a computer at the same time. The computer connection is required to manage the capture card interface. Here you can also rate the real-time material that is received via the recording card.
Capture cards are connected to computers in two ways. You are using a PCIe connection or a connection via USB 3.0. Capture cards that support connectivity through USB 3.0 work with high-end laptops and desktops. A capture card that uses PCIe connections will not work with laptops because these ports are not accessible to a laptop user.
There are some laptops with mini PCI-E connectors. These laptops can be connected to capture cards through a PCI-E to Mini PCI-E adapter. Such connections are not recommended as the quality and stability of the recording can be impaired.
If a player has a desktop that they can use with the capture card, a PCIe connection is not a problem. It fits almost every modern motherboard. If you own a laptop, you should only concentrate on the capture cards with USB 3.0 connection.
The software used with a capture card depends on each manufacturer. A capture card from a major manufacturer such as Elgato and Hauppauge is supplied with the standard software. Smaller capture cards may come with third-party software. It is important to assess the quality of the included software that comes with a capture card. It is the user interface of the software that enables streaming, adding comments, adding a webcam or other functions.
Read online reviews and the experiences of other content creators and streamers. These give you a deeper understanding of the limitations, problems, and functions of various capture card software. When you find the perfect balance between hardware and software functions, you are making the right purchase.
There is a huge capture card market. New capture cards come onto the market every year. Do you choose a capture card with PCIe or USB 3.0 ports? Is 1080p60 Enough? Do you need 4k60 support? These are difficult decisions.
Some decisions depend on how you use the capture card. Others are more objective. With the best capture card, you can seamlessly capture and stream HD footage from your computer or console.
Wir hoffen, dass unsere Liste Ihnen bei der Auswahl der besten Capture-Karte hilft, die in Ihr Budget passt. Unsere Top-Ten-Liste bietet einige unglaubliche Auswahlmöglichkeiten. Das Lesen der Liste und unseres Einkaufsleitfadens hilft Ihnen bei Ihrer Kaufentscheidung.