After a short public beta phase, Apple released iOS 13.6. The version was initially called 13.5.5, but was renamed 13.6. One of the features that Apple introduced as an important innovation for iOS 14 at the beginning of WWDC is now already on the iPhone: the digital car key CarKey, which so far has only been able to unlock the new 5-series BMW.
This car key can also be easily shared via iMessage and should even work if the iPhone has switched off due to an empty battery. The key will only work if you have switched off the iPhone yourself. Apple promises that many new vehicles will soon be compatible with CarKey.
Apple News gets several major innovations in iOS 13.6, from which users in Germany of course do not benefit, since the applications still have not made it here – which you do not have to be too sad about. New in Apple News + are audio stories for selected stories, in Apple News Today the editors of the service provide a brief auditory summary of the news. You can of course turn on your radio every hour on the hour. This audio content can be found more quickly via a new tab, a connection to CarPlay is a matter of course. Local news from the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Ney York and Houston are added
The Health app gets a new category for collecting symptoms, some of which are entered directly from ECG measurements and training.
Apple also promises the usual bug fixes and stability improvements. At the same time there is also the update to iPadOS 13.6, which offers the same innovations – with the exception of the digital car key.
The full release notes as published by Apple:
iOS 13.6 offers support for digital car keys, introduces audio stories in Apple News + and includes a new symptom category in the Health app. This version also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Digital car keys
– Unlock, lock and start your compatible car with your iPhone
– Safely remove digital keys from a lost device via iCloud
– Easily share digital keys with iMessage
– Driver-specific profiles so you can configure shared keys for full access or restricted driving
– With the power reserve, you can unlock and start your car for up to five hours after the iPhone’s battery runs out
– Audio Stories are professionally narrated versions of some of the best readings from Apple News +, selected and produced by Apple News editors as part of your Apple News + subscription.
– Apple News Today is a new, free audio briefing on the top stories of the day from the editors of Apple News, which is also available in the Podcasts app
– A new Audio tab makes finding Apple News Today and Apple easier
News + audio stories
– CarPlay allows you to listen to Apple News Today and Apple News + on the go
– The local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston and New York City.
– Additional news from local news providers with an Apple News + subscription
– Your daily Apple News newsletter can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests
– New category for symptoms in the Health app, including the symptoms that are logged from the cycle tracking and EKG
– Ability to log new symptoms such as fever, chills, sore throat or cough and share them with third party applications
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
– Adds a new setting that allows you to choose whether updates are automatically downloaded to your device when you are on Wi-Fi
– Fixes an issue that could cause apps to stop responding when syncing data from iCloud Drive
– Fixes an issue that could cause data roaming on eSIM to appear to be disabled even though it remained active
– Fixes an issue that made some phone calls from Saskatchewan appear to be from the United States
– Resolves an issue that could interrupt the sound when making calls over Wi-Fi calls
– Fixes an issue that prevented some iPhone 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi calls
– Resolves an issue that could cause the software keyboard to appear unexpectedly when connected to certain third party hardware keyboards.
– Fixed an issue that could cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be mapped incorrectly as a US keyboard.
– Fixes stability issues when accessing the control center when Assistive Touch was activated
– Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude from traffic that is transmitted from constantly active VPN connections