Luckily, either out of necessity or simply on a whim or hobby, Windows 10 allows us to change the letter of any unit so that we assign the letter that we like the most in each case. To do this, we will be able to use the Disk Manager or through the Diskpart tool from the command line.
Change the letter from Disk Manager
Windows 10 Disk Manager allows you to easily change the letter of a system drive by following the steps shown below:
- We open the Disk manager from the Win + X menu.
- This will open a window with the administrator where a list of all the units and partitions will be shown, where we will see each one of the letter assigned to each of them, along with other information such as the distribution, type, file system, state , capacity, etc.
- From there we will select the Unit to which we want to change the letter.
- We click on it with the right mouse button.
- We select the option Change drive letter and paths.
- In the next window that opens, click on the button Change.
- Next, we choose the letter that we want to assign to the selected unit.
- Once the change is made, click on To accept to save the changes.
Now we can see how the unit to which we have just changed the letter is already displayed with the new assigned letter. Of course, it is important to know that certain programs or applications whose operation depends on the drive letter or refers to it in some setting, may stop working correctly.
Change drive letter with Diskpart
Diskpart is a command line-based tool that allows you to format a hard disk, create partitions with different formats, and which also offers us the possibility of changing the letter of any storage drive in Windows 10. To do this:
- We open a window of the symbol of the system.
- Once in front of the command line we write diskpart and hit Enter.
- Automatically a new command prompt window will open with the prompt configured with the diskpart tool.
- Next we write list volume and hit Enter.
- This will show us a list with the units and partitions of the equipment.
- The next thing will be to select the one to which we want to change the letter using the command select volume lyrics, where letter we have to replace it with the current letter that represents it.
- Once this is done, we run the command assign letter newletter, where new letter we must replace it for the letter with which we want that unit to be represented.
Automatically, the letter of that unit will be changed and we can already check it from the Windows 10 explorer itself. As we indicated previously, certain programs or applications whose operation depends on the letter of the unit or refers to it in some setting, could stop working properly.
We can also change the name to a unit
It is also possible to change the name of a hard disk or partitions of our system in a simple way. Therefore, in addition to choosing the drive letter, we can give our disk or each of its partitions the name we want to be able to identify them much better. To do this, we simply have to follow these steps:
- We open a Windows file explorer window.
- We are going to This team or My Team, depending on the version of the system we have.
- We select the unit that we want to change the name.
- We click on it with the right mouse button to enter Properties.
- In we select the tab general of the property advantage.
- In the editable field above we write the name we want for that unit.
- Click on Apply and Accept to save the changes.
Now we can see how the unit has changed its name if we open the Windows file explorer.
How to hide drive letter in Windows 10
In addition to being able to change the letter of any system drive, in Windows 10 it is possible to hide that letter. In this way, when opening a file explorer we will see how instead of the units appearing next to their letter, only their name will appear. For it:
- We open a Windows file explorer window.
- We select the option View from the main menu.
- We came in Options.
- We click on the option Change folder and search options.
- This will open a new window in which we must select the tab See.
- Then we look for the option Show Unit Letters within the advanced options.
- We uncheck the box.
- We accept the changes.
Now we can go back to the file explorer and check how next to each unit of the system instead of showing the letter and its name, only the name is shown and not the letter.