The mobile phone industry fell sharply worldwide in the second half of 2020, the most affected by problems with production / distribution and the economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic. Apple was no exception, though the data shows how the iPhone SE 2020 has helped smooth the fall.
Smart phone sales fell 25% yoy in the United States in the second half of 2020, according to data from Counterpoint Research. Apple was not spared and the sale of iPhones fell 23% globally. However, the review firm estimates that without the iPhone SE 2020 the results would have been much worse.
iPhone SE 2020, a success
Even Apple is reportedly surprised by the extremely positive reception of this low-cost terminal. It has not surprised us and we have been demanding it for the last years. Without significant innovations in the last generations, users are delaying the purchase of mobile phones and price has become a critical point.
Priced at $ 399, the iPhone SE 2020 is Apple’s cheapest mobile and is doing very well in sales despite the overall situation. This is data from the United States, the first country to sell Apple mobiles, but they can be extrapolated to other regions.
Some interesting facts:
- iPhone SE 2020 already represents 19% of total iPhone sales. One in five Apple mobiles sold.
- The terminal has attracted users from other platforms. Counterpoint estimates that 26% of users who bought an iPhone SE 2020 they moved from an Android device. It is a much higher rate than other Apple mobiles.
- Buyers who upgraded from a previous Apple device also accounted for a significant portion of buyers of the iPhone SE, as 30% of customers upgraded from an iPhone 6s or earlier.
- The device has sold above expectations on both prepaid and postpaid channels.
- And with special incidence in large retail channels such as Walmart, Metro and Boost.
- Counterpoint estimates that sales of iPhone SE 2020 have not cannibalized sales of superior performance and price Apple terminals. It is also not expected to reduce sales of the next iPhone 12.
- Buyers of iPhone SE 2020 are looking for reduced price above all else and are not worried about 5G, high performance or big screens.
The research firm also notes that smartphone sales from May to June actually grew week-on-week and that June 2020 sales were higher than in the same month last year. According to Counterpoint, this suggests that the mobile phone industry is starting to recover of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
2020 will not be a good year for almost any segment of the technology market due to the large losses in the first half, but the consultants “green shoots” advance for the last stretch of the year.