Kaspersky: China continues to lead in DDoS attacks

The People’s Republic is the most common target for DDoS attacks. But it is also where most of the attacks originate. Overall, Kaspersky has registered an increase in DDoS attacks.

Kaspersky has published statistics on DDoS attacks in the second quarter of 2020. As in the previous quarter, most of the attacks were directed against targets in China. However, China is also the starting point for most of the DDoS attacks worldwide.

DDOS (Image: Shutterstock)65.12 percent (plus 3.6 points) of the attacks affected organizations and users in China. The USA follows in second place with 20.28 percent, which corresponds to an increase of 1.2 points. Both countries together accounted for 85.4 percent of all DDoS attacks worldwide in the second quarter.

A notable proportion was achieved on Hong Kong with 6.08 percent (minus 1.3 points). In addition, South Africa, Singapore, Australia, India, the EU, Canada and Great Britain appear in the statistics – each with shares of just over or well below one percent. In the rest of the world, only 4.71 percent of all attacks were registered.

If you look at the origin of DDoS attacks, a very similar picture emerges. The first six places also go to China, the USA, Hong Kong, South Africa, Singapore and Australia. China also has a share of around 66 percent and the USA around 20 percent.

However, the number and intensity of DDoS attacks increased in the second quarter. “The second quarter is usually quieter than the first, but this year is an exception,” said Kaspersky. “The long-term downward trend in attacks has unfortunately been interrupted and this time we are seeing an increase. The high points were April 9 (298 attacks) and April 1 (287 attacks in one day). In addition, the number of attacks twice exceeded the high of the last two quarters, on May 13 and 16. “

Several very quiet phases in the second quarter would also be noticeable, including between April 30th and May 6th and between June 10th and 12th with sometimes only 8 or 9 attacks per day. On average, however, the number of daily attacks increased by almost 30 percent compared to the previous quarter.

Another trend in the second quarter: there were more attacks with a shorter duration. The proportion of attacks that lasted up to 4 hours rose by four points to 86 percent. However, the proportions in the categories 5 to 9 hours, 10 to 19 hours, 20 to 49 hours and 50 to 99 hours declined.

When looking at the platforms used to carry out DDoS attacks, there were practically no differences. In the second quarter, hackers used Linux botnets in 94.78 percent of attacks. In the first quarter their share was 94.36 percent. Windows botnets only played a subordinate role in both quarters with a share of just over 5 percent.

To new heights with SkySQL, the ultimate MariaDB cloud

In this webinar we will introduce you to SkySQL, explain the architecture and explain the differences to other systems such as Amazon RDS a. You’ll also get a glimpse into the product roadmap, a live demo, and learn how you can get SkySQL up and running in minutes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *