It’s been an amazing three years since PUBG Corp. introduced the pioneering 100-player free-for-all concept to the world. Today’s landscape is very different from 2017, not least because of the flood of competitors who have appeared in PUBG’s wake with a view of a piece of this Battle Royale cake.
From Fortnite to Apex Legends by Warzone and the newcomer Hyper Scape, PUBG is certainly not the chippy newcomer who is taking the world by storm as it once was. Although the vast gaming community has fallen out of favor, a strong contingent of players remain loyal to the game, half a million if Steam statistics contain any substance.
According to newly released figures from PUBG Corp, the game has sold over 70 million units so far. It may not dominate the headlines or twitch streams, but PUBG certainly hasn’t gone anywhere.
To mark the occasion and to inaugurate the beginning of the eighth PUBG season, PUBG Corp is revising the armpit humidification jungle of the Sanhok card. It is the latest card to benefit from an Erangel and Vikendi facelift.
As a press release explains, it is not just a fleeting retouching, but a real remaster that will transform Sanhok into a “leaner, meaner, and more deadly” overgrown deserted paradise. Better graphical fidelity, sharper game balance and improved performance are on the menu.
Every structure, tree, stone and material has been completely redesigned based on data from player feedback. Extensive design and art upgrades extend to well-known locations such as Boot Camp, Ruins, Pai Nan, Khao and Quarry and introduce several new areas, including the former getaway tourist trap and the airfield.
The revised Sanhok will be released on July 22nd as part of Update 8.1 on PUBG, which will trigger Season 8. PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Google Stadia players will have to wait a little longer to get started on July 30th.
Update 8.1 also offers:
- “The Loot Truck: Driving on the streets of Sanhok is an autonomous freight transport that offers players a brand new way to equip themselves. If these trucks are damaged, they drop loot and continue on their way. Players who are persistent enough to destroy the truck will be rewarded with an even larger supply of weapons and equipment for their squad.
- Confiscated weapons: Players who take out the loot car will be rewarded with fully customized weapons. For the first time in PUBG, players can pick up weapons with preloaded attachments and unique skins.
- Improved Jerry cans: These explosive bundles of joy make their revised debut. Pour gas on the ground to set a fiery trap, or throw the whole thing at an enemy and set it on fire.
- New ranking season: A new ranking season begins with update 8.1. The season brings with it a frequently requested change in the rating, with the ranking list acquisition now taking into account the placement of the team. In addition, Vikendi has been added to the leaderboard card pool.
- Survivor Pass: Payback: In addition to last season, there is the latest Survivor Pass, which allows players to earn a large number of new skins as they explore the forgotten paradise of Sanhok. “
There are also a number of minor changes, particularly bug fixes, user interface and sound improvements, and new cosmetics. A complete list of additions and changes can be found here.
PC players will be able to test the changes from July 15th on the PC test server, while console and Stadia players will be able to test them on the console test server from July 22nd.