After months of weird teases on twitter – including a polite older gentleman View of a lake With dozens of dogs in tow we finally know the name of the still young, self-described “narrative oriented indie studio”, the debut project of Third Shift – Forever Ago. Third Shift was launched in 2019 by best friends Fabian Brueckers and Kai Denter in Krefeld as a part-time project.
The news comes from an unlisted video on YouTube, which fans have discovered with eagle eyes and shared visibly for everyone. It points to a Steam page that just went online next to a new website that returns a blank page, suggesting that a proper announcement is just around the corner.
The video begins with a “friendly but somewhat annoying” young man named Milton who takes care of the lighting while the protagonist Alfred takes a picture of him. The trailer then turns to record Alfred’s time on the road alongside his reliable motorhome and four-legged companion.
We see Alfred crossing picturesque forests and the icy wilderness of the north, driving through sleepy cities, trudging across deserts with seemingly endless skies, stopping in pubs and making campfires under the view of billboards and falling stars. Forever Ago promises an emotional experience, supported by a beautiful art style that suits Third Shift’s ambition to tell compelling stories.
It is all reminiscent of storytelling games like Kentucky Route Zero, which also tell a journey across a fictional road in Kentucky and Campo Santos’ celebrated Firewatch.
As for Forever Ago, a short blurb that accompanies the video sums it up:
After a tragic stroke of fate, Alfred embarks on a journey north in search of redemption. Forever Ago is a single player road trip adventure where you travel to beautiful places, capture memories with your camera, meet interesting people and even make new friends. “
The Steam list also lists the main features that you can check out below:
- Experience a nuanced and warm story about broken dreams, loss and regret – but also about courage, hope and true friendship
- Discover breathtakingly beautiful surroundings, from calm forest lakes to dusty wasteland that simmer in the desert sun.
- Examine and interact with objects to learn more about your surroundings and the people who live there.
- Take pictures with your good old instant camera to document Alfred’s trip and solve small environmental puzzles.
- Discover the stories, beliefs, and battles of the various characters you’ll encounter along the way, by renowned voice actors like Dave Pettitt (Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Frost punk), Daniel Amerman (League of legends) and Cissy Jones (Fire clock, Life is strange).
- With an original soundtrack by Clark Aboud (Kill the tower, Nice words).
- You can pet the dog.
According to the trailer’s final footage, Third Shift plans to release Forever Ago on PC sometime in 2021.